Saturday, July 28, 2012

At last...

I can't even begin to describe my excitement to come to Cape Town.  Although I was eager to get here, I am so happy we saved the best part of the trip for last.  It is breath-taking here.  I thought I had already fell in love with South Africa prior to arriving in Cape Town, but this definitely sealed the deal.  Our hotel is right on the beach with an amazing view of Table Mountain.  We got to see amazing scenery (on top of Table Mountain, Cape Point, Cape of Good Hope, Boulder Beach- Penguin Colony, etc.).  One of the most moving moments of this leg of the trip was our visit to Robben Island. When we were on the ferry boat to the  island, I tried imagining what it must have felt like for all the political prisoners that made this same trip.  Although now the island seems like a place you could vacation, the water is beautiful and the view is out of this world, but all the ghosts of the past still linger on the island's presence.  I couldn't believe that I was walking some of Mandela's foot steps on this island, and seeing his cell where he slept for so many years...there were some intense moments.  We ended our visit with a night out to an authentic African restaurant that was amazing.  Great food and live music (plus I some how got dragged to the front of the restaurant to perform in front of everyone, haha).  This was the perfect ending to our journey here in South Africa!









~Nicole Krause

No comments:

Post a Comment