Monday, July 16, 2012

Transformational Leadership


Coming into the GLS I wanted to challenge myself to become a transformational leader. Since I have been at the University of the Free State, I have realized that my definition of a transformational leader was too restrictive and more traditional. For myself, I have realized that I can be a transformational leader in my own life by just standing up and speaking up. When one thinks of leadership, you think of a leader of a group or a movement. While this is one direction to go, I now realize I can still have the same goals as these kind of momentous leaders by solely maintaining a state of mind. Today we heard from an inspirational comedian, Pieter-Dirk Uys, and he made one statement that truly hit home for me. He said sensorship is not the worst thing, but rather self-censorship. For me, I need to challenge myself to stand up and speak up, and not sensor myself. The final notion that I have learned that has effected my idea of a transformational leader is the notion that one must maintain their identity as a citizen in order to be an effective transformational leader. Citizenship provides content and ethical direction for a leader, and many individuals forget they are a citizen once they become a leader.


~Nicole Krause

No comments:

Post a Comment